Friday, July 18, 2008

South Swell Due

There's a south due in over the weekend. Unfortunately there's also 30kt NW winds forecast as well. That leaves me with two options, drive north for 1.5 hours or drive south for 1.5 hours. Driving north means 2-3ft beachbreak with likely offshore winds, a beginner crowd with a smattering of so-so longboarders who think they are the best surfers around, which they are, but that's cause most of the other surfers are raw beginners. Anyway, it's not hard to get away from the crowd and find good waves to yourself, if that's what you want. Plus, offshore wind is a rare treat for me.
The other option is drive south, towards the crowds. The good thing about south is there will be many options. One spot rarely gets good and when it does there's only a few surfers out at a time. Another spot may be 4ft unmakable walls with only a handful trying. Fun to try. Yet another spot could be empty at dawn and a thumping cove beachbreak, as mentioned in an earlier post. South also means I could do some board repair with my dad, and just about every board I own could use some ding fixes. I'll probably head south with a carload of boards.

Lately I've been riding my Junod "Daisy" with a new set of 5.25" side fins and a mini center fin. The extra fin surface area has been great for solid bottom turns and projection. I could ride that board at any of the spots, but it may be a little fat for the bowly cove.

I took photos of all the rest of my boards but haven't yet uploaded them. I'll try to get a description of the boards, with photos, that I don't have up yet.

I've been watching craigslist lately and it may be my imagination but it seems like there are some cool retro type boards for sale at good prices, that don't seem to be selling. Maybe it's the economy, maybe people are realizing that retro isn't for everyone, maybe I'm just board hungry and imagining things. As I said before I can't buy another until I clear out one first, so I shouldn't even be looking.

No comments: