Saturday, July 26, 2008

Ride Report, Junod and Fineline

On Tuesday I went down to the beach. The waves were small and a bit junky but there was no wind and only one guy out. I'd been dry for too long so I went out anyway. I was on the Junod fat-tri with the large 512 sides and the mini center fin. Although there wasn't much to the waves, mostly closeouts, I was able to find a few corners and make a few speed runs. The new large fins work great for generating speed on a bottom turn and I'm not noticing them stiffening up the board. I started standing a bit further back on the board and it really loosened up. It got to the point where I was wiggling the board all over on a wave that wasn't doing anything but I couldn't stop the board from turning this way or that. So, now I know how far back is too far back. It was a so-so session in so-so waves.

This morning was a repeat at this same spot only with sunshine and 50+ more people scattered about. I still got plenty of waves since everything was so disorganized and everyone was spread out. Similar conditions but this time on the Fineline GeeBee. It took a few waves to get used to how the GB feels compared to the fat-tri. The board doesn't let you just lean over and make a quick turn, you really have to take your time and make it happen. I have to add more body english. I also noticed, and this may be my imagination, but I had one wave where I tried to stand on the tail on the take-off to stall in the pocket. I think it was all the width in the tail but the board just shot off down the face of the wave and I almost fell off the back. Maybe I would have had more luck if I pointed the board down the line before I try to tail stall. I did manage to get a tiny bit of air coming off the lip of a close-out, but I didn't manage to land it. Another so-so session in so-so waves.

Planing on surfing again tomorrow, this time somewhere different. Either of these two boards would work where I'm headed, and maybe I'll bring both and switch-off. Or maybe it's time to try the mat again... No reason I can't bring all three!

No comments: