Thursday, July 24, 2008

The end of cool

I've been waiting for it to come around again. Surfing gets mainstream attention every 5-10 years and becomes cool. This brings more people into the water, few of whom are going to stick with it. Some get good (teenagers, mostly) but many are just fair surfers and get in the way. The good part of it is that there are often more surf shops around, which means more selection. The bad parts are too numerous to mention. It seems like this last string of "Surfing is Cool" has lasted since the mid-90's with only a few minor drops in popularity. I've been waiting for the cool to go out of surfing and people to leave, I've been feeling it lately, but I've been looking for a sign. Well, today I found it, and here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLVjyDvH11c

This is it, the end of surfing being cool. I've only seen this preview but if the movie is anything like the preview then nobody who sees this movie will think surfing is cool. Surfers will go back to being seen as dumb, lazy stoners. Great!

I'm a generally nice person and appreciate beginners and others who are enjoying the ocean that we all share. I never give people a hard time and almost always welcome people to the peak I'm surfing with a smile. But deep down inside I'm protective and greedy with the waves.

Early 90's GOTCHA add:
"If you don't surf, don't start. If you surf, never stop."

---------------------------------------------------------------
Late Addition!

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24061768-462,00.html

Mr Hyman said manufacturers had over-produced following predictions of an undersupply. "We've been hit by the double whammy of a huge glut of surfboards and the economy taking a dive," he said.

No comments: