Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Disapointment

Sunday was not nearly as exciting as I hoped for. It started with me waiting at the place where our group was supposed to meet. It was 15min after everyone was supposed to meet and nobody had showed up and I was getting ready to solo it to where we were supposed to surf. Just then I got a call asking where I was and was I going to join them surfing the other spot.

"What!?! Yeah, I'll be right over."

They had changed the meeting place and the surfing place. I wanted to say forget it, I'm going where the waves will be GOOD, but it was a special occasion and I didn't want to throw a tantrum. It was our friends "Leaving Cali" last surf and it was the only time that all 6 of us who work together and "surf" were together. I put surf in quotes because one is a pure beginner, two surf a few times a year, one is in a kayak, and the guy who was leaving was the only one who would join me when the waves got over 3' tall.

When we got there the waves were smaller than I surfed Saturday. The wind was blowing worse than Saturday. The crowd was 4 times larger than Saturday. I tried to let it go and followed the group to the peak where the waves were hardly breaking before disappearing into deep water. I "rode" three waves and sat around and then just paddled in.

It wasn't much of a going away surf but it was nice to get all the pieces together for once. Without him I doubt the other guys will surf much since he was the one who would talk them into joining us. I would rather not invite them since it often means going where the waves are more suitable for beginers.

Looking to the future I'll be surfing alone before work now. This means a larger hit to the thin wallet and nothing holding me back from getting to the beach at first light, surfing where I want, when I want. My productivity at work may go up without having someone to recap the surf with, or maybe I'll sink into the web-surf world looking for an outlet to share the stoke.

No comments: