Monday, July 21, 2008

Surf Mat




Dimensions: Bout 4' x 2.5' x 4" or something like that. The point of this thing is that it has no dimensions. Gas is defined as a fluid that expands or contracts to fill it's container, and that's a pretty good description of the surf mat. Surf mats aren't as obscure as they were when I first got one, but some people may not know much about them. One misconception I often get is that they are blown up tight. They're not, in fact they're rather soft. Not floppy, but you can bend one to a 90deg angle when their in the correct inflation range. Skipping the rest for now, I'll give a ride report.

I bought a surf mat looking for the fastest thing on a wave. The back-up justification is that they are ultimately portable. Good thing for the back-up because I can't get going very fast at all. There is a good sensation of speed because you're right at the waters level, but bodyboarding as a kid and body surfing give a similar feeling.

It's hard to describe what it's like to ride one, but I can compare it to other surfing. Compared to bodysurfing you're getting the same feel as being a little at the mercy of the wave. Without fins attached to the bottom you can't make the thing go square off the bottom or do a ripping cutback. But like bodysurfing it forces you to accept the wave and work with it. Unlike body surfing you can get out of the curl or ride softer waves. I had fun on a 2' day of slow rollers on the mat. Full on longboarding waves that I was able to cruse around on.

Mats also don't have a rail. On a bodyboard or paipo the rail is doing what fins do on a stand-up board. On the surf mat the best chance you have of grabbing an edge is to use your swim fins dragging behind you.

Before you even get to learn about the limits in control on a wave you have to learn the limits of control while trying to paddle the thing out. If you've ever tried to surfpaddle an inflatable pool toy you have an idea of what it's like. If not, imaging trying to climb on top of a giant rubber ball, covered with grease. Well, it's not really that bad, and by now I have the hang of it pretty well.

I haven't met to many other surf mat-ers in person so I don't really know if I'm a good or bad mat-er, but I have the basics down.

The thing is, I don't love it. It's cool that I've learned a different perspective on wave riding and I feel that I have a better understanding of waves and surfing because of it, but I hardly ever ride the thing. It is ULTIMATELY portable and goes on every vacation with me, and I'll never sell it, so that's something.
Pros: Portable, gives a whole new perspective on surfing.
Cons: The relative lack of control and difficulty in paddling through waves is more than I can handle when I only get to surf once a week or less.
If anyone wants to take it out for a spin, let me know and we'll meet up. I even have a decent selection of swim fins to offer.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

1) Mat surfing isn't for everyone.

2) Custom mats have VERY specific internal and external dimensions, as well as materials. Within that closed system they're flexible, elastic and malleable.

Contingent on a high quality design and construction, rider competency and wave conditions:

3) Beyond the sensation of speed, surf mats can be extremely fast.

4) Au contraire... square, accelerating bottom turns, cutbacks, etc. are very much possible. No matter what your surf craft, more water time = more fun.

5) Surf mats do have rails. They function much as a radial tire, retaining full contact with the wave face for short, or long arc turns.

"Setting up the drop in and learning how to position my
body on the mat has give me a reference point to work from in trimming and controlled turns.
You can pull off some amazing turns and cutbacks... This thing can turn! No fin? No hard edge? How can that be? What a treat to find such a pure form of wave riding that seems to have no
boundaries of speed or control."
(Tom Sterne - Texas)

"No matter how many times I feel it, I'll never get over the incredibly sharp, crisp turns
your can get from those big, soft, round rails of the surf mat. It's
like magic!" (Tony Lum - Hawaii)

6) There is RARELY ever any need to drag swim fins for directional control.

7) Difficulties paddling out? Surf mats have adjustable buoyancy. Learn to use it to your advantage.

8)"I hardly ever ride the thing."
As is true with just about any worthwhile endeavor... low investment = low return. There are no shortcuts to experience.

9) Sell.

Yours is a rockered Neumatic "200/70 Advanced Design". Used Neumatics in good condition, available immediately, often go for around $300.00.

All the best

Quiver said...

Thanks for stopping by. I've only ever matted with others twice, plus one time when I was out surfing with another guy. The whole point of this blog for me is to talk with others and learn more about surfing.
I think the stage I'm at w/ the surf mat I just need to go find some other surf matters and watch them and surf with them. Not too easy as they tend to be few and far between.
I agree that I need more time on the mat to gain experience, control, and eventually have more fun. For now I'm invested in hard, finned boards and I only get to surf once or so a week. When I finally move back to a beach town I'll ride it more.
I'll never sell it. That alone should show that I know there's something too it, something I want to achive but havn't had the time to get there yet.

Thanks for the input Solo.