Thursday, March 6, 2008

Strech/Homemade Spoon


This one gets an extra photos cause it needs some 'splainin. Based on the George Greenough series of flexable kneeboards, shaped by Strech out of Santa Cruz. It was glassed with a single layer of fiberglass and a single layer of carbon fiber. No dimentions were on board so, as I measure, 5', 17" nose, 21.5", 18.5 tail. The first time I had this board out I broke the rail AND got a in-out barrel a few waves later. I was really into the way the board twisted under me to form to the face of the wave. I was really upset that I broke it so quickly but didn't want to give up so I decided to take matters into my own hands (and my dad's) and add many layers of glass to strengthen the board. I have a whole series of posts at flexspoon.com describing the saga of this board and I wont repeat it here. The board needs to be sanded and "tuned" as the flexspooners say so I'll keep my comments short.
The Good!
Something to do when the surf is flat (sanding, always sanding,) home made, something very different to try, I'll eventually "tune" it to my liking.
The Bad :(
Needs work still, has essentially no floatation, very few people understand these boards so I have a hard time getting advice and I've only ever seen someone else ride one in person once.
What can you say?

No comments: