Monday, March 17, 2008

One Board Quiver

For some it's the ideal, for most it's something that was left behind during there first years of surfing, never to return. The one board quiver. Can it work?

I was spending some time trying to fit 7 boards into the tiny closet space my wife allows me for boards. The only way I could fit them all in was with some creative jimmying and removal of the majority of the fins. I realize that, of the removable fins, I wanted to leave the fins on my newest board and had to work around to get things to fit. Why was I willing to put in the extra effort? Because that board is the one I'm most likely to surf for the next few sessions. So why do I have all these other boards?

I'm also going on a surf trip to Mexico for 10days. The cost of the trip, while cheap, is more than I should be spending now and the thought of spending extra money to take extra boards seems wasteful. Not to mention the more boards I bring the more boards I risk all the hazards of travel.

All this leads me to wonder if a one board quiver isn't the way to go? I have only one wetsuit (not counting the old ones I use only as loaners) so why so many boards. Wouldn't I gain from concentrating my energy on one board? Wouldn't I do better if I learned how to make one board go in a variety of conditions?

No comments: