Thursday, March 6, 2008

Fineline GeeBee


My longboard. No shapers dimensions on this one, so by my best effort we have 6'2", 17.5" nose, 22", 17" tail. As you can see, this is a wide one. It's in the category of hull with it's belly and sharp 50/50 rails but it's not an extreme version. Brian Hilbers is Fineline, but this board was a combined effort of him and Kirk Putnam, who is known in the Hull Circle. It is said to be modeled after George Greenoughs Velo (flexspoon kneeboard) and it has some characteristics even I can see. For instance the bullet shape, the angular belly towards the front half of the board which is known as tri-plane, and the flat bottom going out the tail. I ride it with a L-Flex fin pushed all the way to the fronty front of that box. It's my first choice for small or very weak waves but I have had success with it in hollow'ish waves in the 4-6' range. If you've ever ridden a classic longboard then you'd recognize the feel of this thing. It's glassed heavy and you have to ease the bottom turn using the full rail. I'm still figuring out how to cut back on this board.

The Good!
Wave magnet/hog/catcher, with all that width I can catch a ripple, stable, takes a single fin so I can play with all those odd center fins I've stolen from my dad, can handle that good set wave that comes through on a crappy day, or all the waves on a good day for that matter, Solid (extra glass) glass job so it'll last me years.

The Bad :(
Hard to duck dive with the width and volume, critical drops typically end in wipeouts, I'm not impressing anyone with my moves (unless they appreciate the flow of longboarding,) funny looks in the parking lot, or questions about it when I'm trying to go catch some waves.

A keeper, am I wrong?

3 comments:

f1rstcoast said...

i will buy it if you no like

Unknown said...

Great review! Thanks so much, thinking about buying one for my girl so she doesn't keep borrowing my Lovelace she hull :) the rails weren't as sharp through the middle on this as I originally thought... Is it quite forgiving through carves then? Rail grab I mean...

Quiver said...

It rides more stable than most boards of the same length. This is mostly due to the width, but also the rail shape I believe. I have since changed my ways and I prefer the fin placement closer to the middle of the box. Unless your daughter is an experienced surfer, or very small person, I would recommend something bigger than a GeeBee. Something closer to 7 foot which catches waves easier and paddles faster.