Thursday, March 6, 2008

Is anybody out there?

Oh yeah, I was trying to start a blog, wasn't I. In the last month I bought a board, tried to sell it, bought another board, decided not to sell the first one, and booked a trip to Mexico.

Quiver Overview:
6'2" Fishy Junod Thruster 6'2" x 21" x 2 5.8"
6'2" Bonzer Light Vehicle 3 fin bonzer from Campbell Bros. Narrowest tailed board I own
6' Fishy Haut Quad 6' x 20.5" x 2 3/8"
6' Fineline GeeBee 6' x 21" x ? This is a 6' "longboard", wide throughout with knifey rails
5'10"? Schrodel Twinzer
5'8" Freeline twinzer kneeboard
5'6" Flexspoon (unfinished) Strech/Homemade effort
3'?" Neumatic Surfmat
1' Homemade handboard

The Junod is the new board, riden once in head high mixed up windswell. Couldn't tell much about it except it duckdives okay and catches waves okay. I think I need more fin surface area, but a friend that rode it one day disagrees.

The Bonzer is the one I tried to sell but now am having second thoughts. My impression of it was that it's like a single fin improved. Faster and more agile than a single but far more single fin like than the Haut quad I'd been riding. I wanted to sell it cause it has a narrow window of take-off zone so I have a real hard time in a crowd.

The Haut quad is an awesome board for me. Great float without being too much, great wave catching and manuverability, great drive off the bottom and very fast. I think I fractured the stringer so it's been put to the back of the closet only to be brought out to serve as an original to be cloned.

Fineline GeeBee can be called a stub, hull, thumb, or stupid looking thing. I call it my longboard. It's got alot of features of a clasic longboard. Belly, 50/50 rails, flat rocker, width throughout, and a big single fin. I can make it go in good waves but I need an extra second on the drop to get control and make a bottom turn.

Schrodel Twinzer. To be honest I havn't given this one a fair shake so I won't talk about it.

Freeline kneeboard. Yes, I kneeboard, and I'm not afraid to admit it. (I'd also ride a bodyboard if I had one.) I've gotten some great rides on this thing. I can make super late drops, I can pull into small barrels, I can surf all day without ever loosing control. I've even riden it stand-up and enjoy that ride as well, although it's hard to catch waves without the help of swim-fins.

Flexspoon kneeboard. Shaped by Strech, I broke the rail on the second wave I got, was barreled later that day. I decided to add more glass to it, way more, and sand down to tune it. I don't have much opportunity to ride it lately, or sand on it either, but it's an ongoing project never to be forgotten compleatly.

Neumatic Surfmat. Ultimatly portable so I'll never get rid of it, but I havn't ever gotten a great ride on it. No skegs, soft inflation -> no edge, a whole different approach to wave riding.

Handboard, homemade, simple with a crappy skeg on it. Seems basic enough but it's surprising how it improves my bodysurfing experience when the waves are more than just whomping closeouts.

Well, that's the overview of what's in my closet. I never really thought about it before but I've got a lot of boards! There are also a few boards that are at my parents house cause they're technically my dad's property, but he doesn't (and wont ever) ride them, and cause my closet is full of the ones I'm most interested in right now.

Is anybody out there?

No comments: