Monday, October 26, 2020

More Fishing, and a lot more canoe paddling

 Back to the same spot for more fishing off the canoe. This time mom was hiking with friends so it was just my son and I. I had to haul everything up and down the boat ramp, and do all the paddling too. It was a beautiful day and we got an early start on the water by 8am. The weather was overcast and light breeze. We just paddled across the lake from the dock and hunkered down. I dropped the one anchor and we spun around it as the wind changed directions. This ends up with the line getting wrapped around the canoe and the anchor line, so I'm going to make myself another anchor of maybe a coffee can filled with cement. Or maybe score something off craigslist.

No bites and my son wanted to explore the shore. I made a mistake and landed along a muddy spot and we got muddy but walked around anyway. We saw a family of otters argue over a fish one caught and I scoped out a backwater cove that was high and dry that day. We went back to the canoe, got our shoes stuck in the mud, and paddled back to the dock. We sat on the dock and ate more snacks with a hook in the water and my son wrapped in my arms against the chilly breeze. I watched a heron catch a fish in the shallows and a cormorant strike like lightning to startle the heron and steal the fish it dropped. He was rewarded with all his cormorant friends responding to the commotion and chasing him off trying to steal the stolen fish. It eventually warmed up and we agreed to go for one more paddle around. I let a line hang in the water as I paddled us slowly downwind to the part of the lake where no power boats are allowed.

No bites, but I saw a seagull chasing a bald eagle around. And then the family of otters came close to see what we were doing. They got close enough that I got nervous and told my son to get his hands out of the water for a minute. By then we'd been at the lake for hours and we were out of food. I paddled us upwind slowly dragging the line behind us. Then it was back to hauling gear, but this time I parked the car down the boat ramp to save myself some steps.

It was a good long day on the water and we saw some wildlife and had a good time. My son might be done with "fishing" for awhile now, but I'll keep offering. I'm not done with it and might go out solo, or try some beach fishing or clam digging. I also want to harvest a meal worth of mussels once the season opens up for the winter.

No comments: