Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Family fishing isn't fishing

With the canoe finished and the surf verging on terrible last weekend, I opted to take the canoe down to the reservoir and try some lake fishing with my 4-year old son. The slow start to the day was keeping things low stress, and actually blended well with my wife's plans. She joined us for the maiden re-voyage. With the three of us and unorganized fishing gear in the canoe things were a bit disheveled, but it was working out. It was late morning by the time we were on the water and we paddled directly for the only shady spot which was near a small peninsula. I experimented with the canoe anchor about 20-ft from shore and set-up my son's rod with some salmon eggs. I handed it down to him and he said, "I don't want that, I want to go to that beach." But we saw some fish jumping, and my wife tried to redirect him by offering him some of the lunch we packed. They ate while I held the rod and tried to deal with the swirling of the canoe in the light breeze. Half a sandwich later and my son was once again talking about shore. I could tell my wife wasn't enjoying sitting in the canoe, so we paddled over to shore and they got out. I paddled back out a little ways and sat with the rod. They played for 15min or so, and then the shade ran out and they were both ready to go. So that was it. Less than an hour of hook in water, just like the "First time fishing with your kids." websites described it would be.

When we got home I took a rest, but an hour later I was considering going back to the reservoir. With the unusually warm weather, the amount of effort it takes to launch the canoe, and the fact that all boats are supposed to be off the water by 5pm, I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Next weekend is within sight and I'm wondering if I should try again with my son, or if I should go surf even with the poor forecast, or maybe I should go fishing by myself. It's kind of nice to have options, but it also can lead to decision paralysis. I have a few days to decide at least.

No comments: