Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Velzy V-Fin

Very low tide and small waves so I opted to test out the Velzy V-fin. I though that since the depth of the fin is a few inches shorter than the fin I'd been using (9.74 TA Greenough 4a) that it would slide over kelp easier. I was wrong, and here's my theory. The kelp that causes problems is the stuff that grows long enough to float to the surface with a foot or more lying horizontally on the surface. In that case, any depth of fin will catch. The V-fin seemed to be a bit extra bad over the kelp and I think it's because the leading edge of the fin(s) is more vertical, so it's like hitting a curb on your bike rather than hitting a steep ramp.
Other than that, the fin performed well enough in the conditions. I had no problems on bottom turns and cutbacks, what little I could do in the small waves. It held a line running through sections, although it might be a bit slower than the Greenough 4a. It also may have been the way I was surfing, or the particular conditions. Overall I would say it's a good fin worth using again in better conditions. I defiantly still want to try it in the 6'2" GeeBee before returning it to my dad's fin box.

I also picked up two more fins. One a GL Flex Fin (Fibre Glass Fin Co) and the other a RFC that looks a lot like a 4a. They are both used, Volan, and 10". So I have some slightly larger fins, one with a wide base and one narrow base. So on balance, I now have more fin combinations to try than I did before this weekend!

No comments: