Monday, September 9, 2019

Wish granted, unfortunatly

Last week I was wishing for continuation of the small waves on the weekend. I got what I wished for, which then disappointed me because the waves were so gutless. I made the most of it on my V-pin and tried out the 10" Volan wide base fin. The waves weren't good enough to judge how the fin rides, but I can say the leading edge is pretty chewed up by the original owner, and the fin wobbles in the box. I'll touch it up with some resin and light sanding to fix both those issues.

There was a photog taking videos on the beach and got a few of me. It's rare for me to see any images of myself surfing so I was excited to see them. What I discovered is that I don't move as smoothly as I imagined, and I wait too long before cut back into the wave. But, screenshots hide all that so that's what I'll share!
The wave dies shortly after this moment.
 

I did make it out!
 
Volan fin in the sunlight.
 
The resolution is not great, but the bright yellow board makes it obvious it's me out there. Even though it wasn't great, it was still worth the effort.
 
I also made the time to work on repairing the Velzy. I bought some resin pigment to try to color match the repairs. When it was wet, the repair was more of a blue/grey white, while the board has a bit of yellow in the white pigment. The color might change when it dries, but if it still looks off, I can play with it. I was considering re-pigmenting the full rail because 90% of the repairs are on the rail. It might look okay with an opaque light grey, then add pinline in black. But I'm getting ahead of myself.


No comments: