Tuesday, June 29, 2021

New Waves?

My wife was out of town and so I was solo with my young son. He's too little to leave on the beach while I surf, but he loves the beach too. We went to a beach I've only ever been to once near HMB. South of town is rocky and I've never done much work trying to find waves. I'll call this beach Green Ravine, and it has rocks and reefs typical of the area. As my son and I dug a sand castle I stole moments to watch for surfable waves as the low tide filled in over the rocks. I didn't find anything obvious, but I found waves that could be fun on a foamy with low expectations. There's several more points of beach access in the area, and I'm optimistic I'll someday find something to surf.

It would be great if I could go surf known waves and then on the drive home scout out a few of these spots. The difficulty is that many of these beaches have small parking lots that fill up by the time I am finished surfing. In summer I've seen long rows of cars parked along the highway overflowing the parking lots. So maybe I just have to toughen up and accept that I'll have to walk a little extra to check some waves.

No comments: