Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Shelter in place

We're all stuck at home. The cams verify that the police are doing their job and keeping surfers out of the "town" spots up and down the coast. We all know of some hard to reach spot that we could get to and probably not end up with a $1,000 ticket. Some are on it, others like me don't want to drive in circles trying to work it out.
And back to those cams. Watching empty waves is like a dream I have. In this daydream I imagine having a time machine. The cockpit has to be big enough to fit a surfboard, because I'm hitting all the spots, and doing it back before Columbus' big adventure. Malibu with nobody around to jockey for the set waves. Rincon with nobody snowballing the wall. Shoot, even the spots that are considered third and fourth rate would be tons of fun without the crowds.
But then my son comes to visit me at my desk. He's stuck at home with parents who are supposed to be working remotely, and he's going crazy. I get an instant message from a boss asking about a report, and another from a coworker asking questions about another. I'm back to reality, but one that is surreal in it's own way.

In these times I greatly appreciate http://surfmatters.blogspot.com/ for continuing to provide stories and photos to help me make it through the week. I wish I had some photos and a story to tell, but the strongest memory from my last session is someone paddling under my longboard and taking the wave of the day. I don't want to rehash the details, I'd rather plan my next session. Maybe somewhere hidden from the eyes of the police. Maybe somewhere that the police have given up trying to control.

No comments: