Monday, April 27, 2020

Second session on the Tree Hugger

I still haven’t figured out why it’s called the “Tree Hugger,” but I don’t mind. The second session on it was at low tide 4 mile with a small mixed swell. The inside was kinda barreling (not really) in the way it does. I opted for the 2+1 fin setup again with the thought of pivoting and stalling into the barrel section. The volume of the board worked great for chasing down the waves and getting in a second early to setup a line. When it worked it felt really good and solid. I didn’t get barreled, but close. It was a tight fit to get in and my leg strength wasn’t up to the challenge of squatting in control. Standing up at the end of the section also felt awkward. Time to do deep squats all week!

This 2+1 setup has a 7 1/4" center fit with a 5 1/2" base, and the sides are 4" by 4".

One thing that didn’t work for me was not being able to pump the flats to gain speed when taking off behind the peak. The feeling was similar to a single fin, which makes sense given the fin configuration I was using. I fully expect that if I load it up as a quad, the board will go great.
Another thing was duck diving the more powerful waves. A few times I found myself trying to duck a 4-5’ wave that had a throwing lip, and because I didn’t get the board deep enough, I got pulled backwards by the wave/lip. Never went backwards over the falls, but a wave a few feet bigger  probably would do it. I can account for it by ducking earlier and strengthening my arms, but more likely I’ll just pick a board with less volume for waves in the 6-8’ range if I expect to duck dive more. There are plenty of point/reef breaks that this board would handle the size because I’d use the volume to just paddle around all the waves!
So after two sessions, I feel like this board is a good fit for me and my quiver.
By the way, is there a term, like board quiver, but for a collection of fins?

Social Distancing late edit: I arrived after first light and found the beach side parking was blocked off, so I parked at the old spot. I knew there were waves and no wind from the sound, but it was light so I climbed the hill at took a quick look for old times sake. Another car parked behind me and he quickly suited up as I gathered select gear from my car into my backpack and put a board under each arm. He beat me into the water by a good 30-mins as I lingered getting fins into my board and a wetsuit on, watching him get good waves by himself. I was the second in the water, but only got one wave before another person was paddling out. We were keeping our distance and getting our waves, but it got harder as more and more people came out. It got downright crowded, so I paddled up to the point despite the fact it wasn't working. I rode whatever mushy wave I could at the point until I was joined, one at a time, by three people. I decided I wasn't going to battle the crowd for waves and got one to the beach where I found a handful of people. Plenty of room on the beach so distance wasn't a problem, but considering it was only the 8 o'clock hour and the day was shaping up to be beautiful, I assume it got rather crowded.
I decided to drive up the coast and look for another opportunity to surf. There were options, but nothing that motivated me enough to paddle out again. Also of note was that anywhere there was room on the side of the road to pull off, there were barriers or cones and signs saying "closed." All the state beaches were blocked off, and I saw CHP, lifeguard trucks, sheriffs, and state park vehicles, so I assume those closures were being enforced. I'm glad I didn't get a ticket where I surfed. I might not be that lucky next time.

No comments: