Sunday, October 20, 2019

Pushing limits

A good sized swell was delivering overhead waves to the Lane. I thought I could ride the V-pin through outside indicators, but the waves weren’t making it through. I kept trying to snag the ones breaking deeper, but instead just got hit by set waves and washed in. I got a few rides, nothing memorable, and found myself back at the car. I wasn’t done surfing, but I wasn’t having fun. I decide to swap boards and put the Velzy V-fin on the GeeBee and try the Slot. The V-fin got some attention on my way to the water. I got a few good overhead fast waves, but had trouble. I felt like everything was loose and out of my control, like slippery not stiff. When I tried to make a turn, I turned but the board didn’t.
I should have swapped to a normal fin and tried again, but it was more crowded, and I was getting worn out. I talked with a friend who also pushes the limits on his hull and he was familiar with the experience. He also gets squirrelly in bigger, fast waves. I’ve had good, fast waves on the Gee Bee, but maybe those times the waves were just below the “speed limit.”

No comments: