Thursday, July 18, 2013

Downsize?

Is it time to thin out the quiver?
I've been surfing less, thinking about surfing less, and when I do surf I aim for the easy waves, which only half my boards would be suited for.
This leads me to reflect on why I have a "quiver" of surfboards in the first place.
I have a flexspoon kneeboard that is in a stasis of mid-repair. The board is shorter, but has a large glassed on single fin making it awkward in transport and storage. I bought it because I wanted to feel the twist of the board in hollow waves. I have surfed it only a few times in many years, and overglassed it. The "repair" is more of a refinement as I want to thin it to be more flexable, but not as flexable as when I first bought it. Now that I have outdoor space, I can do that work, but I never think to do it. Keeper if I get back into the repair/ride cycle. Sell-off if it spends another month collecting dust.
I have a 6' GeeBee mini-hull that has served me well of late as the "teaching kid to surf" board. I also have some fun waves on it not too long ago. Small, weak waves with good shape that the extra foam of the hull made smooth. It works as the board to grab when I know it's too small for the Pacheco to be any fun, but don't want the longboard. Keeper
I have a 6'2" Quintara. It's a quad but the most like a typical shortboard in template. It's the first Hess I owned and right away I could tell it was much smaller than anything else I owned. Having paid quite a bit for it, I stuck with it and got comfortable riding it. It works well in juicy waves without too much paddle needed. So, not OB, but yes for Ona and Wadle Reefs. In fact this board is the board I'll take if I am headed to Ona because all the others have too much width and don't handle the steep tight Ona waves. But lately I've been to out of shape to ride it anywhere. Sell-off ?
I have a 6' Pacheco that is my most versatile board. It works from 2' to 8' OB and bigger if I get back into shape. This will be the last board I sell and represents my ability to ride a shortboard. Keeper
I have a 6'8" Moraga. It's a more float version of the Pacheco and I've had good sessions on it from 4'-8' OB and it could handle larger out there. I wished for it a few weeks ago when I was getting tossed on the takeoff riding my Pacheco. It was my most ridden board last winter whenever I saw a swell. Keeper
I have a 7'4" Noriega. It's the closest thing I have to a big wave board. I've ridden it up to 12' out at OB during my one winter of "charging." That was the same winter I took a beating for my efforts and got sidelined with injuries. Memories were made that winter, but I'm not sure I have it in me to do it all again. Sell-off ?
I have a 10' true log longboard. It was born of miscommunication and best intentions as a graduation gift from my dad. I never rode it much, but with the new home having space and the new truck being able to haul it, I've brought it out a few times. It's very different than the rest of the boards being heavy and stiff. It would be the board I'd ride if I went back to Cowells, or 38th, or even up around here when it's super flat and I need to get out. If I had my druthers I might opt for a more performance longboard, but this is what I have, and it has symbolic significance to me, so it's my longboard. Keeper
And then there's the two surf mats. The better one, or the one I like better at least, is kinda broken. Kinda because I could still use it, but I should fix it first. The other one I should give another chance and try to get a feel for it. I went through a period where all I wanted to do was ride the surf mats. When that stopped I couldn't find the stoke in surfing and that leaves me where I am today, considering selling off surfboards. I don't need the money, I don't need the space, I don't think they are loosing value at any significant rate. So why am I thinking this way? Not thinking of rotating, not thinking of expanding, I'm thinking of (gasp) shrinking the quiver. What's wrong with me?

No comments: