Saturday, July 30, 2011

Noriega, day 1

I headed south before dawn today on a misguided mission. As I looked at the reef in the 5:00 darkness I realized that this spot doesn't like the negative tide. I headed into town for the spot that Does like that tide and the south that was here, but there wasn't enough swell. I futzed around town, considered going rock climbing, but ended up surfing. I went out to Scotts, which isn't a south swell spot. It was high tide and the waves were 4' and the reminded me of sewers. Peaky bowls with the rare wall but mostly technical drops into zero shoulders.
The board felt good under me. It has float between the wheelwright and buttons so I could chase waves but still do a decent duckdive. I think it will work for me, but I have work to do too. I could feel that I'm weak and couldn't paddle continuously for very long. I thought about which gym exercises I'll do to strengthen for surfing. Let's see if that really happens.
I know I'll appreciate it if I do, and regret it if I don't.

No comments: