Friday, July 22, 2011

Jetty Memories Session

Last week I had work on the coast and kept an eye on conditions. It was more than breezy but not blown out. There was a south swell in the water. I called JZ and his suggestion was the Jetty. It's been a very, very long time since I've surfed there. That was the first place I rode waves when I was in 5th grade (or there-abouts) just riding whitewater strait into the sand. The beach has changed with sand migrating out and no harbor dredging replenishing it. Even so it still has days when the rebound wedge is working and it's surfable. This was one of those days and even though there were 10 people in the water, I still figured I'd get some waves. I caught several, and JZ even shared a peak with me that was my best wave of the day. My balance at the take-off tipped me so that my shoulder was right in the pocket, kinda stuck in that position as the wave reeled along and my board kept pace. It felt good. It ended up being a relativly short session, but with better waves than I've ridden in awhile and playfull fun. I rode the Pacheco and it felt fine, despite still only having basecoat wax on it. JZ gave me a few scraps of sticky wax so hopefully the next session will be solid.
Forecast for this weekend doesn't look too good.

No comments: