Friday, December 31, 2010

Return

Someone ran across this blog and found a board he had regretted selling. It was the bumblebee which I had just recently dropped of in Santa Cruz to sit and wait for me to visit. The board filled a space in my quiver that didn't need filling, somewhere between the Haut2 and the Buttons. He wanted it back and I'm happy to see it get used.
I asked him what he liked about the board and from his response the main thing I could identify with was that he said it didn't outrun the pocket like a fishy board is likely to do. That is why I got the Buttons, which takes a different approach to slowing the board down. The Buttons is narrow tailed while the bumble bee has an ass like a quad, just a bit narrower than a full on fish. I'm not sure what helps the bee stay in the pocket. The side fins could cause drag when away from the pocket, or maybe it's something about the rails or rocker that I didnt see. I'm fairly certain that a narrow tail like on the Buttons provides less resistance against the face of the wave. It's this resistance that provides lift and when leveraged by the fins and rider weight, forward movement. Less tail width reduces the forces at the source.
At least that's what I think is happening.

No comments: