Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Public Transport

This isn't meant to be a rant on what is wrong with public transportation, although it may sound like it. It's really a mark of where I'm at right now in figuring out how to make a "bus to beach" situation work.
The background to this is that I'm getting deeper into the science of climate change. In doing so I'm getting a look at what is projected to happen to our lives in the next 50-100 years. The news that is pushing me to action after a year or more of driving every day is this; ~5 years ago the IPCC created projections of CO2 emissions which included: decreased CO2 emissions, same rate CO2 emsisions, and increased rate of CO2 emissions. Most people figured we would be somewhere between less and same. As of now our CO2 is higher that what was considered a high estimate ~5 years ago. That is not a projection, that's the way it is with no room for argument.
So, what can I do? I don't think technology is the best answer, although it will be important for limiting climate change due to human actions. I think the best answer, one that hits all angles at the same time (and instantly, as in right now) is to reduce consumption. I could go on and on about this but I wont, and I'll now return to the more directly surf related talk.
So, how can I take public transport (PT) to the beach? Well, I've already purchased a drybag backpack for cleanly transporting my wet wetsuit. Next I've decided that at least at first I'll forego the surfboard and shoot for either bodysurf or matsurf. Lastly I've mapped out my path, which to be honest is surprisingly direct with only two busses to ride and less than a mile total walk required for a few surf spots. The downsides are many and obvious, but the one I have the most trouble with is the cost. It will be $6 each way, $12! In the car I figure it would be 1.5 gallon of gas @ $3.25 + bridge fare @ $5 so $9.90. Now, I still have a car so I'm still paying for insurance, and a bus takes you one place only. If the surf isn't good there then I'm kinda screwed. I've given up my freedom and paid extra for it!
(The one thing I havn't looked at is the bus transfer system. For no extra charge I can get one transfer ticket. So, perhaps I could take the bus to spot A, then decide to check spot B, which wouldn't cost any extra.)
Okay, that's enough for now. I'm hoping to get my mojo up and do this move this weekend.

No comments: