Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Bonzer BumbleBee

I have ridden the new Bonzer enough now to know it's not for me. It works with big shoulders and softer take-offs, but what board doesn't? I missed some runaway waves not because the board isn't fast enough but because I couldn't nail the late drop solid enough to start projecting across the face early enough to make it. The board may be fast once in the pocket, but if I can't get there then who cares? Float isn't the problem like the last Bonzer I had, and I wasn't struggling with burying the nose. It is really just a problem with hanging at the top and then not feeling solid once I got over the edge.
Ride wise I have nothing much good or bad to say about it. The good is that it doesn't automatically outrun the section. The bad is that it will release off the face if I get too steep and up on a rail. Mostly I found it to be rather blah. Combine that with the droping in problem and this one is being released.
I'm sure there are other waves and other surfers for which this would be a great board, but for me, where I surf, it doesn't fit the bill.

No comments: