Thursday, September 24, 2009

Skipping it at Sunset

The wife and I camped at Sunset State Beach last weekend. The weather was foggy all day, all night. There wasn't any swell in, just 3'-ish windswell hanging around. The early morning was glassy and low tide but uninspiring with the waves mostly closing out. Watching as much of the beach as I could see from the sand I would see a makable wave every once in awhile. Sometimes over there, sometimes over here. Not my idea of good times.

The local crew, men in their 40's-50's were hanging around and a handful went out and made the most of it. Among that group was Scotty Mac, the kneeboarder who sold me my kneeboard. He also posts on the KSUSA website and tends to be rather aggro when online. Looking at the waves and how weak they were (relative to what I saw later at Moss) makes me think he'd chill out some if he had a few ocean supplied smacks to the head. I know it works for me when I get out of hand.

We left to go take a hike around Elkhorn Slough and stopped in at Moss to take a look. Much better, good enough to surf for sure. The problem was we were on our way somewhere and there were more than enough surfers already on it. There were other peaks of less quality down the way but I didn't stay to surf.

Next day at Sunset was the same deal. It was nice to sleep outside (in a tent) but the surf was just blah. Not the best camp/surf spot because the walk from the camp to the beach is too far for a quick look at conditions, and the beach parking lot fills up with nowhere to park. Close enough to hike out and surf though. It's also a close drive to other surfspots like Manresa, which was smaller but better shaped by the way.

No comments: