Monday, August 24, 2009

Haut and About

Because nobody is commenting on my blog, I'm assuming nobody is reading my blog. Therefore I will stop making the attempt to hide the identity of the locations surfed.

Surfed the reefs at Waddell on Saturday. The usual spot off the North edge. There was a small (2') south (190deg) at 17 seconds. There were some head high+ waves but most were smaller, chest-ish. The lefts weren't a problem on the new board, even the ocassional bowler. I did rely on the rail grab pig-dog more often than would be considered necissary by most people. At the low end of the 0.0 tide there were a few short rights around the chest to head size. Mostly I was sitting a bit deeper and getting bowls that didn't make it around the edge of the reef. Some sets were swinging to the edge -lower peak- and missing the upper part of the reef where I was.

Today I surfed the Waddell Lot. The surf was forecast to get bigger than Saturday but I don't think it was. The Monterrey buoy wasn't reporting the south through the morning, but at 2am it had 5.6' @ 16sec S. This should have been bigger than Saturday, and since I didn't surf the exact same spot, maybe it was, but I didn't feel it. Again there were a few head+ waves with most in the chest high range. The tide was dropping to 1.5' at 7:30am, so not much change there. The similarities of the lot to the edge of the reef are striking, with the reef having more umph. Otherwise both spots are predominately lefts, shifty, with more peaks deeper and some waves that swing wide and wrap around the edge.

I got one right that had so much speed that I couldn't control it. I ended up way on the shoulder before I felt I could cut back. I tried to do a roundhouse but had no idea what I was doing so I did not control it. Still, the new Haut gives me the confidence and opportunity to play around like that.

No comments: