Wednesday, August 12, 2009

GeeBee facelift



You can decide if the change was an improvement or not, but at least it's now unique.

I primed the surface with some light sanding with wet/dry paper that was about 300grit. After letting the water dry I started painting with acrylic paint and a small brush like someone would use the paint a picture. The deck was done freehand and the edges are a bit wobbly. (Stupid Blogger won't upload the image of the deck even after several attempts.) No planning was done to how I wanted it to look and the result is a combination of what my wife and I were doing simultaneously.

After that was done I flipped the board and continued. This time we gave it a bit more thought, but kept with the theme of what was on the deck. We also taped of the strait lines, which I think helped the final product.

After we were done putting down the "art" I sprayed the painted surface with Rustoleum gloss clear coat. The first coat didn't go on very well and looked powdery in places. The second coat helped, but I ran out of paint before I felt like I was done.

A few things to note. I'm not sure if I didn't prime the surface well enough of what, but the paint didn't want to stick once dry. At first I left the tape in place until the paint was dry, but when I removed the tape the paint was lifting with it, almost as one complete piece. After that I would pull the tape as soon as we were done putting on the paint, still wet. This worked, except where I was taping off at the same place there was already dry paint. Minor touch-ups were required.

It's been in the water already and the paint held up to waxing and the wet, so that's a success.

I think it looks like some kind of science art.

No comments: