Monday, April 14, 2008

Post Surf Trip Ramble

The Junod did the job. We posted up at a long left hand point break in Mexico. The swell was changing the whole time we were there so we got to see many faces of the place. First few days were solid overhead and long lined up all the way through. The Junod had the speed I needed to just stand there and make most sections, but loose enough to drop around the occasional overly eager section.
A few days later there was a NW on top of the S and the size dropped to shoulder to head. The NW caused the sections to be a bit faster. On my backside I couldn't do the thruster style tic-tac and had to move off to the shoulder to the other side of the top section. I borrowed some 550 vector Futures and put in a tiny trailer riding the board as a Twin-ish with trailer. This gave me solid drive off the bottom and more holding power if I was to get caught by the section and try to rail grab pull through the white water.
Last few days of the trip the south was warbly and sectiony. Shorter rides but gave me a chance to try to get tubed on the bowly sections. I had a couple dump on me once inside so they sorta counted, but since my eyes were closed expecting to get killed I'm not counting them. Backside on high tight barrels when I don't get tubes, ever, isn't easy.

Overall we got offshore winds and 8 strait days of good morning surf. I got a chance to work on my backside riding, and I'm definitely getting some larger side fins for the Junod, maybe not 550's, but I'll have to do more research on what all fins are available from Futures since there website is lacking details. Standing on the inside rail for speed made it hard to wrap around and do a cutback without some foot movement. I attribute part of this to the tail width of the board, but it was something I was starting to account for as the days ticked by.

Want to know where I was? Well, here's a hint, square burritos. I'll give more to someone who shows me there's first.

Oh, photos. Well the resident photog wouldn't start shooting until later in the morning when I left the water and the rippers had taken over. There was a traveling photog who got several shots of me, but when she gave me a DVD it was blank when I got home! She also got video and said she'd email it later so maybe I'll update then. Or, more likely, I'll see how big of a kook I look like and not post any photos. :)
The photog was part of this group http://www.gringoinvasion.com/, they're a fun loving bunch of travelers on a bus trip to Costa Rica.

No comments: