Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Most Rediculous Post

What board looks best under your arm?





WTF right? Well yeah I know, but since nobody is reading this blog I can be stupid without getting caught.

So I was looking at old photos and thinking how cool those old 70's era single-fin boards look under the arm. Guys standing at the waterline with drawn out spears held loosely under one arm gazing out to some tropical line-up.




Image from iconsofsurf.com

That mental image doesn't always match the awkwardness that results when the boards are being ridden. Sure, in perfect waves they go great, but ever tried to cut back on one? You have to plan ahead and make a reservation. Once you've done a cutback you're dead in the water and need to pray to Poseidon that the wave picks you up gently and gets you up to speed before the lip catches up. Don't even think about rebounding off the whitewater, not gonna happen.

I've ridden a 7'-ish spear built back in the mid-70's and enjoy the ride. Of course I have a hard time negotiating the drop competing with better surfers riding shorter boards with modern rockers. But if I can sneak one in at just the right time, and it's got a wall to ride, that board is fun. Of course at the end of the wall if I want to cut back, well, that's a different story. It's better sometimes to just kick out and not look back. (That next section wasn't gonna be good anyway.)

I think this is part of the reason I bought the Bonzer I have. It's got similar lines to the 70's single fin guns. It also has me struggling to make late drops. Of course the bonzer does maintain speed a bit better on a cutback, but maybe that's because it's shorter and I can bring it around quicker, staying in the pocket better... hmmmm

2 comments:

23 Breaths said...

Great blog. Nice to see your boards and descriptions. Interesting quiver what's next?

Quiver said...

In honor of the second person to add a comment, it's time to add the neumatic to the blog. I'll try to get to it this weekend.