Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Long Rambling Pre Surf-Trip post about nothing in particular

Leaving for Mexico this Friday, mainland, Pacific side. I'm bringing the Junod because I'm guessing I can ride it in just about everything I'd want to surf anyway. If I bring one board I can cram it in a board bag with the other guys and pay for 1/3 of the total, $50. OR, I can bring a second board and my own board bag and pay $75 each way. I can think of too many reasons to bring a second board and too many reasons not to. I think I'll have to go with my gut and bring the Bonzer.

Why? Cause I think that my Bonzer is similar to the Russ Short models that the Campbell brothers are making now (narrow tailed Light Vehicles) and I saw some fun looking footage from the 70's of Russ Short in Mexico.

It's possible he was in the same region I'm going to. I'm not thinking it's a karmic connection, I'm thinking he was getting good rides on a board similar to what I'm considering bringing. (It also helped that I had a fun session on the bonzer just a few days ago.)

Still haven't packed, not even sure I can get these two boards in the board bag I have. The only forethought I've had was I ordered this super expensive sunblock that's supposed to be actually waterproof. Dr. Martins of Maui. It's about $5/oz after shipping! but it claims 30spf and 20spf after 6 hours in the water. If it works I'll get a lot more waves since I wont have to get out of the sun at 9AM only to return after 5pm. I may be able to add a few hours of surf per day!

Not sure if I'll bring a camera, maybe a disposable waterproof one, but those are only good if you get REALLY close to the object of the shot, and I don't want to be hanging around the impact zone trying to take photos of my friends surf when I could be surfing.

I'll be taking the surf mat and a pair of flippers. That lets me body surf and play around on weak waves or onshore wind blown point breaks. I think I'll be covered as long as it's not huge.

2 comments:

David J. Hirsh said...

Have fun. Blog it when you get back.

Quiver said...

Thanks Tres, First Comment!
Funny cause I got home to discover we are cat sitting a 3 legged cat named Tres. I did a quick update about the trip that's up now.