Monday, October 18, 2021

Better?

 There was more swell this weekend so I was able to catch waves. We went to S reef because I thought it would be good on the high tide at 9am. It was pretty good, but I still struggled. JB did better, but also had trouble with the crowd. There were people sitting on the inside getting good waves, but then were in the way when a set came. There were also a couple people who would paddle just a little deeper as the wave came and I had to back out. Those waves I did get I kooked out on. But, the weather was beautiful and it was cool to see other good surfers ride waves.

After surfing we went to the overlooks and checked out some of the reefs just north of S. There were waves and far fewer people. So maybe next time conditions are like this we'll take our chances at one of those options.

Sunday was perfect weather for working on the canoe. I finished up all the scarf work, including adding 1.5-ft extensions to the pieces. They didn't come out perfect with some mis-aligned and others showing a gap. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, but maybe the mistakes will blend away when I round the corners and sand it down smooth. The next step is to run the strips through the router to round over the edges. Once that's done I'll sand then down smoother before applying the first round of oil. Between coats of oil I'll take apart the old canoe decks and see if they are worth keeping. I wouldn't mind making new decks, but it will be my first time and I'm not sure what I'll do, exactly.

While waiting for the glue to dry on my scarf joints I started watching videos about surf matting and paipo riding. I kind of wish I had tried again on Saturday morning, going back out with another surf vehicle. Even bodysurfing the sizable shore-pound would have been more exercise. 

Next weekend is supposed to be camping on the coast. We'll see if that really happens because there is also rain in the forecast. I hope it doesn't make the tent area too muddy, and also hope the rain doesn't return while we're there. It's possible that I'll take just my son camping for just one day, and deal with the hassle of wet muddy gear alone. He would like that, and my wife would like the rare time alone. But it would also take away the one surfing window I have. Who knows, that one window might be terrible waves anyway so family time would be the best thing for me to do!

No comments: