Wednesday, September 2, 2020

The Final Countdown

Coming to the end of the quarantine, just in time for a long weekend at my parents beach house. The weather forecast isn't perfect for surfing, but I will be able to work something out. The swell forecast is promising with a little something from S, NW, and even a SW expected. The only hang up is that, at the moment, the road to Scott's is still closed. Although the firefighters are getting things under control, the burn map shows the fire crossed Hwy 1 hear Ano Nuevo. If there are burned trees or damaged cross-culverts, then driving the road could be a hazard. If there are unprotected houses, or just a need for emergency crews to have a clear road to do their work, then that would also explain the continued closure. In any case, I hope they get the road open in time for the weekend. If not, I'll still get some surf, just maybe not at my first choice. With the wind, my first choice might not turn out to be the right choice anyway.

Since it's been a few weeks, and longer since I got any good surf, I'm extra stoked for the prospect of what's to come. I'm going to savor the moment by summarizing the forecast:

Friday Evening: Mixed South and NW swell, 1.70 low tide at 6:30pm, light S/SW wind forecast in town.

Saturday Morning: Same mixed South and NW swell, small SW swell, 1.15 low tide at 6:45am, calm wind forecast in town, 20kt NW wind up the coast.

Saturday Evening: Fading South, NW, and small SW swell, 1.63 low tide at 7:15pm, calm/variable wind forecast in town, easing wind but still around 10kt up the coast.

Sunday Morning: Fading South, NW, and small SW swell, 1.61 low tide at 7:15am, calm wind in town, 6-10kt NNW wind but probably not starting until mid-morning.

Sunday Evening: Fading South, NW, and new SW swell, 1.59 low tide at 8pm, calm wind in town, 6-10kt NNW wind but probably not starting until mid-morning.

Monday Morning: Tide 2.06 at 7:45am. 

So the problems for surfing up the coast appears to be the short period NW all weekend, and the Saturday winds. Saturday morning is also the lowest tide of the weekend, so considering the forecast, I think I know what I'll end up doing. I'll go for a longboard surf early morning at the patch of reef I "missed it" at a few weekends ago. Then I'll do some recon in the wind to help determine where the next session should be. I sure hope they get the road open!

No comments: