Monday, May 11, 2020

Thats a lot of fin

Sorry for the unattractive photo. I really wanted to capture the fin cluster.
I got out to a different spot that I haven't surfed in awhile. Scott Creek is a right reef break known for holding size. The swell was short period NW with a bit of south mixed in making things jumbly. The tide was very low pushing the break off the edge of the reef. In summary, it wasn't very good. But, it had some size and power and I wanted to give it a try on the Tree Hugger. Last weekend I picked up an 8" stage 6 fin, and I swapped out the basic 7" center fin I was using.
The board and fin felt pretty solid, and maybe a bit on the stiff side for the conditions. I felt I had enough speed for most of the waves, and in control. I tried some basic bottom turns, some strait lines, and some weak cutbacks and everything felt okay. Surprisingly, nothing noteworthy. It might have been because I was unfamiliar with the wave and wasn't pushing my limits. It might have been because that wave has more power than I'm used to feeling. Anyway, it was a good surf and I'm going to keep trying out this fin a few more times before moving on to the next.

No comments: