Monday, March 11, 2013

Springtime, OBSF

Springtime conditions yesterday morning. This means jumbled med-small waves that make me feel like I never learned how to surf. I turned a blind eye to reality and went out anyway. I guess you could say it was an experiment since I opted for the surf mat. I didn't know how well it would work in the conditions, but now I do!
I started out mid-beach at the only peak that looked remotely interesting. I had my big (modded) fins and hit the water at the "channel" just north of the peak. By the time I made it out I was several blocks north. The waves in that zone were terrible, and I couldn't see another surfer anywhere. I opted to turn around and swim it back in. It was a long walk back to the car, I bet I looked like a wet donkey sulking down the beach.
Afterwards I saw several people (8-ish) around the north end. I didn't see any great rides, but because it was smaller they were able to overcome the jumble and ride waves.
Still, I'm interested in mat surfing after the one good day and one not-bad day recently. I just started the process to get new fins, I hope they do the trick. If not I'll return to cutting and sanding on the fins I have.

No comments: