Sunday, March 24, 2013

Matting the Bo

Headed north this time. Small south swell and junky north swell and wind so I opted for somewhere that would remove the north swell and face the wind offshore. High tide early in the morning so I took my time leaving the house. I arrived a bit after high tide and watch SUPs riding the far side of the channel. Not much to brag about, but it was the only part of the channel working. Either the bar is blown out or there just wasn't enough swell. I watched for awhile and decided it was good enough for a mat session. I was able to score some of the better waves, but that's not saying much. Just one that was 3' (overhead!) and doubled up. There was enough wave size that I was able to drop down the front wave and rocket down the line with the speed.
As the tide dropped the waves just disappeared. As I was crossing the channel to get back to my side of shore I caught a handful of waves where they were pounding the inner bar. Few were ride-able and it was hard standing in waste deep water with the channel water pushing me hard further out. Every other set would produce a wave with enough angle that I could get in and go for a short while before the thump. A few split seconds inside the tube and it was over. Dang it, I keep deciding against wearing the GoPro. I need to clear that hurdle.
Just put in an order for a 5GF (on special) which I've read is a good tube riding mat. I hope so, and I also look forward to the day when a friend asks if they can ride the mat, and I'll have two, so we can both go to it.
It's been two weeks since I first tried to order DuckFeet from Dr. Deets. After the first responses from him suggesting what size I need, I've gotten nothing back. I wonder what's up?

No comments: