Sunday, November 13, 2011

November offshore

This November has been a good one for OB with regular offshore wind and consistent waves in the manageable size range. Some have even been saying it's been some of the best run of good conditions ever, but I think that's more related to the surf contest that was in town and seeing the same old spot through the eyes of a pro surfer. I don't have any use for surf contests, but it was inspiring to see how well the pros made use of the waves and made me think the waves look better than I would have before.
I've gotten out a few of the days and have had some fun. Nothing epic, but much better than the miserable summer we had. The low tides have been after noon and I've been surfing the better morning wind, so mostly I've been getting offshore groomed but mushy waves (with some juice mixed in to keep me on my toes.)
I've been surfing the Pacheco which has been a good all around board with float to catch soft waves but able to handle the juice when it comes. Yesterday I took out the Quintara and didn't feel like I missed the extra float of the Pacheco. I had one morning a few weeks ago that I would have felt good about the Noriega. I surfed 6-8' Tarval with strong offshores, two other guys out. I would have like to have been able to track down the rangy peaks better, and get in a bit earlier since the lips were throwing wide.
As part of the great waves I've been working on fitness so I can be better prepared for winter this year. I'll expand in a later post.

No comments: