Saturday, January 22, 2011

Stop It

I thought I'd reached a comfortable place with the surfboards I had. I've lost interest in Bonzers, realized that my Haut2 is a great board for me in most conditions, but I still have a few options to mix it up when I feel like it. Someh
how I converted that feeling into wanting a Hess version of the Haut2, "so I would have it always." At least that's the logic in my head. The thing is, I already have one I ride, and a cracked one in the rafters to model future ones after. When I realized I was chasing boards again I just said, "Stop IT!"
Now I realize the name I chose for this blog is "Surf Quiver," and now I'm talking about not expanding or rotating my quiver, but geeze, don't I already have enough? The logical answer is yes, the emotional answer is no, I want to keep playing. So here's the compromise I'm at with myself now.
1) If I find a used, < $1,000 Hess that is close in size/shape to the Haut2 I'll take it. The justification is that a new one is $1,400 or more so if I can score the right used one before I bust the Haut2 I will jump, otherwise I'll be getting a custom one sometime down the road.
2) Kneeboard. I still enjoy the kneeboard experience when I know the waves will be super hollow. I haven't ridden it in awhile, so I can't justify getting a new one until I bust the old one. And I mean 2 pieces or something similar that requires major repair. Until then I'll do crap patches and ride it once in awhile.
3) I already have a bunch of boards and lately I've only ridden two. I should ride the Hess I do have, come summer I'll ride the GeeBee, and I have the flex-spoon if I get it tuned and get into shape. Then there's the body surf and mat surf option that I haven't done recently.

Speaking of getting into shape, the wife and I joined a rock gym last night. I got kinda excited because I found a bouldering route I thought I could do but couldn't quite. I get bored "working out" but if I have a game or something to make it interesting I can rather easily get into shape. If my grip wasn't so weak today from 45min bouldering yesterday I'd go again tonight (I still might anyway) and hopefully this will be my non-surf exercise that will keep me from going soft between Saturday surfs.

No comments: