Friday, September 24, 2021

Skipped

I've been falling behind on my house-work/yard-work/canoe-repair. Last weekend I thought would be a good one to skip surfing and do some of the  things on my list. I thought the forecast didn't look great; but then as I was picking up rotten fruit, or trimming away dried up vegetable leaves, or sanding canoe gunwales, I would check the buoys and regret not surfing. I still got some things done, and that feels good, but I think I missed fun waves.
Now on Friday I'm looking forward to surfing this next weekend. The forecast includes a good west swell, which is exciting. A few weekends ago a west swell was also forecast but it didn't show up on-time and I was bummed. Hopefully this one is on time.
Frustrating times we live in at the moment. My 5-year old son had the sniffles starting Tuesday. That's on the symptoms list for COVID, so we had to keep him home. But then once we kept him home, he can't return to school without the passing PCR/Lab COVID test. We didn't figure that out until day two, and the lab takes up to 72 hours to give results, so now it's day four of being at home with him. He's fine and the cold ran its course in two days, so he got a bonus two days at home and I have to spend two extra sick days. I was hoping I could charge this to the "COVID" category on my timesheet and not use up my sick-days, but the new company that bought us doesn't do that, so I have to use my sick days. With that in mind I decided to try to get some work-from-home time in. The only way that I can concentrate is to sit him down with a movie so I can work in peace. Not great parenting, but all the other days I did a better job.
Yesterday in fact we went to the park. The park has a few skate ramps and I took my surf-skate out. I had a minute of luck not falling down after trying a few ramps. And then... I mis-read the transition on one that is steep and down I went. Falling at 45 years old means risking a permanent injury, because at this age nothing seams to heal 100% anymore. I think I got out of this lucky with only a scrape on my elbow and a jammed finger. I'm pretty sure I jammed my fingers like this a few years back when I was skating more. If I remember correctly, it took a year to feel normal again. This one might heal faster because although I feel that it is swollen, I can make a good fist and grip pretty well still. I still want to skate more because its good fun exercise. I just need to be carefull.

No comments: