Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Canoe Quiver

It started with a $400 Old Town Discovery 168 in Royalex. I had just purchased an old truck and build a rack out of 2x4s so I could go pick-up this canoe. It came with a few paddles and was a great starter canoe. It only ever went out to the Oakland Estuary, but I enjoyed the calm of moving quietly through the water with nowhere in particular to go. One great memory is of a warm summer day when I was unemployed. I paddled down to the German brewhaus on the water called Brotzeit Lokal. I had a pretzel and a beer before paddling back to my car and heading home.
But that canoe weighs upwards of 80 pounds. With a small kid always under-foot, I had a few scary close calls where I thought I might drop it onto my son. I needed something I could handle lifting onto the top of a car. (The truck became too expensive to maintain, so I am now in a Honda Element.) On Craigslist I found a Bell Morningstar in Kevlar for cheap. It was cheap because the person who was selling it never got around to making repairs to the wood. Nearly every piece had to be replaced, including the gunwales. I did the work and it came out okay! 
I sold the Old Town and this is my canoe for adventures. I've taken the Bell out to a few reservoirs, mostly with my son. (He's in the background near the tree.) He prefers to explore the shore over fishing or paddling around.
I had good feelings after buying a canoe for cheap and restoring it. I never stopped watching Craigslist and came across a Kevlar Wenonah for free! I went to pick it up and found the Kevlar in pretty rough shape.
After researching what it would take to fix it, I decided it wasn't worthwhile. I contacted the guy who gave it to me and we arranged for me to give it to someone else who had responded to the original add. Back to one canoe.
But of course I keep watching Craigslist. I came across a Dagger Venture 17 in Royalex for $60! With the research I did on the first two canoe repairs, I had an idea of what it would take to fix it, so I went and picked it up a few weekends ago.
It's only the hull with no thwarts, seats, or even gunwales. It was so floppy on top of the car I convinced my parents to let me store it at their place which was close enough to the pick-up spot that I could drive there staying on city streets. It sits while I source vinyl gunwales and figure out what other parts I need to order. I think I can repair the seats that came out of the Bell, and I'm deciding what else I should purchase or should make by hand. The goal is to repair it and then sell it for a small profit. The main goal being the experience of bringing it back to life.
Of course I still haven't stopped watching Craigslist, and I found a Mad River Explorer 16 in Kevlar for $300! Most of the gunwales are restorable, but it looks like I'll need to scarf in a few pieces at one end. I have end-cuts from the Bell gunwale replacement, so this repair might be doable without any purchases, just some work of sanding and oiling. The Kevlar is in excellent shape, and I'm considering selling the Bell and keeping the Mad River. I'll have to paddle the Mad River before I decide on anything.

In summary, I have three canoes. One that's ready (Bell), one that can be used but needs some work to seal the wood (Mad River), and one that needs all the structural parts put back together (Dagger).
And because surfing is my passion, I can't stop dreaming of accessing surf-spots by boat. Being canoes and not really suited to the ocean, I'm looking at lagoons and calm rivers. I've got some spots picked out to try, and I'm just waiting for Covid to clear so I can have a second person with me. Until then, I'm looking at boat in camp sites.
 

No comments: