Sunday, August 9, 2020

Rocks and reefs

Last weekend I rode the V-pin at 4-mile. The forecast was for very small waves and a bit of wind, so 4-mile was the obvious choice. It ended up being difficult to get rides, but fun enough. I got one good one from the top of the point, but "good" is relative.

This weekend I was lucky enough to spend two nights at my family's beach house. The forecast was similar to last weekend and I didn't expect the windswell to make any ridable waves, but I was wrong. Saturday mid-morning I rode my surf mat at Rockview. It was great making the most of the small waves and skimming over the kelp that kept the longboarders away from where I was riding. Sunday morning I went on a reconnaissance mission up the coast. Its not as hidden as other places I've surfed, but it's enough out of the way that it's not frequented. Sunday clearly wasn't the best conditions for this spot, but it was good enough to be worth getting wet. I think I'll go back sometime when there's a bit more swell in the water.

We did less cleaning of the beach house this time. Instead we did more relaxing and breathing of the cool beach air. There's something about that place that eases my mind. The wifi signal is also weak so playing on my phone is no fun. Instead I'll be content just sitting, or leafing through a field guide to birds. 

No comments: