Sunday, October 12, 2014

Spoon Ride Report

Saw a window of light winds mid-week, mid-afternoon. Raced out and caught some 3-4' waves. The rides were a bit longer than the other go out, but they were a bit softer too. Some observations:
1) Stalling on turns. It felt to me that turns would rob me of speed. Sometimes that's a good thing, sometimes not. I remember a similar sensation when I put the plastic, super flex fin on the GeeBee. It worked out one session when the waves were slower. Cutbacks stalled me right to the pocket and I would drop in again, cool! Then stalling felt awful the next session when I needed to go fast down the line and hard bottom turns stalled at the bottom. I think the spoon's fin might be too flexible for what I'm comfortable with, so I'll keep an eye on that.
2) Down the line speed is not as fast as a surfboard. At least this is true for softer waves. I couldn't pump or drive to make it through a crumbing section. The wave behind a shortboard thruster pumped and flew past me and rode on for 20 more yards.
3) I need to avoid sideways take offs. This is something I do often on smaller days at OB when I need to get down the line faster. The spoon will not go, instead it stalls sideways and I go over the falls. I need to go down the face at first to get some speed up before trying to head down the line.
4) More kneepad is needed, and further back. I often landed just right on the kneepad, but after a session I got the sense that that is too far forward. I can add a few inches worth just behind what's there, but I also need some for my ankle area. My feet slid off the board on more than one wave, leaving my knees in place but my body sideways to the board.
4b) I need to surf it from further back.
5) The paint job is temporary. It had little sharp spots that I picked off with my finger nail. It came off anywhere it was bumped hard. The tip of the fin hit sand and the paint pealed right off. It is more slippery than the sanded glass surface.
6) I need to surf it more.
I shouldn't worry too much about running out of deck pad. There's plenty out there on the internets.
http://www.seadek.com/p-25-small-sheet-18-x-38.aspx

No comments: