Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Lower Limit -- And Dale

Two part-er today.
Last Friday I headed out to Quatro with JZ mid-day. The south swell that hit Wednesday was all but gone, and the one coming Sunday was not quite showing itself. The tide was mid and rising and the crowd was mellow. I took out the 5GF and luckily I was wearing the usual trimmed UDeeTs, because the waves were small and weak. I caught several 1ft waves that hardly broke, and a few 2-3ft waves of somewhat better quality. It was interesting to feel just how small a wave could be ridden on the mat, and how soft was too soft. I wished for the Neumattic, which is still awaiting repair.

And about that repair, I emailed Dale more than a month ago and have gotten no response. I started asking around about him and nobody has heard from him in a few years at least. I did a deeper internet search and created my own story from the bits. In my head his sudden leap from obscurity to mat maker fame caught him off guard. Around 2006 he was in bad health recovering from a heart attack. Combine these two stressors and he didn't fill every order which he collected pre-payment for. There has been some rumblings out there from polite complaints to calling of names. I figure he stepped out of the limelight and (I like to believe) he is only making mats for a close group of mat aficionados.

Also did a quickie at a new spot on Monday. I'm not going to name it since it's somewhere not many people have on their radar. I'll say as a not to self that it's one of the closer spots to the inlaws, and where JZ had his after wedding party. The small south and clean winds threw a few nice waves over the well formed sandbar before the rising tide drowned it. I was told by Brent that normally by this time of year the sand builds a bar over there more, but it didn't this year. It was fun, and it's always fun to hike to surf. I wish I caught more waves though.

3 comments:

GRAYMAN said...

Slander at best. If you don't have facts I suggest you refrain from piecing together fragments to post "what you like to believe".

G

Cat said...

I'm sorry Mr. Quiver but your take on Dale Solomonson is kinda far from reality. He is in Dire Straits at best and I don't mean Mark Knopler. Dale does not make any mats for anybody, anywhere on the face of this earth and hasn't for quite some time.
I'm sorry you didn't get what you wanted. Believe me, I didn't get what I wanted and I too am out mats and money. Dale was and is one of the good guys.
Not to worry though,
Karma is a bitch. Eat a peach!
Regards,
Ken McKnight

Quiver said...

I never meant any harm. It wasn't slander because I was clear that I didn't have the real story and was using my imagination. It's a happier thought to think that he has gone underground to focus on his passion, rather than to think he is sick and suffering.
If anyone has the real story and wants to put it in writing, I will happily link to it.
I feel lucky to own one of his mats. I've never seen anything that matches his peak of quality in mat making. 4GF are great for affordability, durability, and choices to play around with. We are all equally lucky to have that as an option as well.