Sunday, July 8, 2012

New Board, no really.

The downloading of the Craigslist app that allowed instant, multiple times a day targeted searching has paid off. I picked up a 6'8" Hess Lola for 8 big ones. It's a bit wider than I would prefer at 21", but the wide point is forward of center. I'm hoping it will have tons of float at 3" thick with a domed deck. The board is clean without a single visible ding on it. I'm guessing it didn't get ridden much, but I'm at least the third person to own it since it says "for John" and I bought it from Dave. Year built '09. The forward wide point tapers down to a rather narrow tail that I haven't yet measured. This fills in a key spot in my quiver. It's the "OB is overhead with current, but not quite 10' on the sets." If I get the paddle advantage I want out of this board it will allow me to reach the peak better and get more waves. I imagine it will go with me every day there is "swell" at the beach with the second board being either the Pacheco if it's "not big" and the 7'5" if it is "big."
I should do a few "Hess Quiver" photos and post them here.

Went on a search for surf on Friday and ended up at mediocre quatro-mile, with a bit more crowd than expected for a weekday. I didn't do to well, letting better waves go to those who were more aggressive and instead taking mostly trash waves, but JZ did just fine keeping it smooth on the hull. This allowed him more range and earlier take-off. Plus he's more aggressive and is gonna get more waves whatever the situation is.

Skate-wise I'm pushing myself and seeing minor results. My legs are stronger so I can go for an hour before feeling the knee give out. I've done a few grinds on the low edge at Alameda. It's surprising how little grinding feels like what I thought. It's just a bit of a slow down from rolling, so really nothing much to it. Just don't take too vertical a line for your speed and overshoot it, and don't get the front truck up on the ramp deck if you didn't intend, and break off the grind line while you still have some speed, and commit to the re-entry. Okay, I guess there is more to it than "nothing."

I brought the GoPro to the park but didn't get there early enough to be the only one there. I was first, but before I got comfortable enough to break out the cam more people showed up. I'm going to have to go pretty early to get some shots. I also took a closer look at the wall where I thought I was getting fully vertical. Turns out it's not vertical even at the lip, so I'm not vertical, even if it feels that way. Took some advice to loosen my trucks and did so, a 1/4 turn, which is hardly noticeable. I should keep going until I can feel it.

No comments: