Friday, October 22, 2010

Another one added

I went ahead and did it, I bought the Bonzer. I took it out immediately into 4-6' funky OB. My first impression of the board is that it feels a bit stiff, but that's coming off several sessions on the narrow tailed Buttons. The stiffness was felt when trying to initiate a railed bottom turn and the Bonzer, being wider in the tail, resists going on rail. However, that same width makes it easier to complete a cutback because the board maintains it's speed for longer through the turn. I managed a full change of direction on one wave which let me hit the foam ball (at which point my "plans" ended and I didn't know what to do the instant after I hit it.)
The most memorable moment from the session was a left that got steep as I was holding the rail. Perhaps my technique was off because I lost the fin and side slipped down the face. Because I was holding the rail the minor slip down the face caused no problem and I made the wave.
Overall I'm not thrilled with the board, but one funky session isn't enough to pass judgment. It paddles just fine and duck-dives well too so I'll be giving it another chance. 

1 comment:

Paul Ferraris said...

I bought a Bonzer used last year, rode it once in funky surf then tried to sell it. Didn't sell quickly, so I gave it another shot, now it my main board. Love it